September 1, 2013

Goldenrod, Elk and Vacations

Isn't this just beautiful? Maybe I'm one of very few people who think that "wild weeds" make gorgeous centerpieces in vases or baskets on the table and around the house. The basket contains Goldenrod and a few Chicory flowers thrown in for contrast. I'll let the Goldenrod dry right where it is so I can harvest the dried leaves later for medicinal purposes.

Goldenrod, Photo by Polly Taskey
My sister gave me this awesome basket (likely a yard-sale treasure she had found), and I really love it! I've recently returned from a relaxing, fun-filled week visiting with her "up north" in Michigan. We share many common interests, so weed identification (and uses), elk-viewing, short hikes, yard-sales, etc, took most of our time. She has wild turkey and elk that frequently traverse her thirty acres and nearby areas. I took my dog with me and he had a wonderful time also. We drew up plans for me to construct a unique enclosure for laying hens (anxious to start that project - hens are waiting impatiently to come live with me, LOL) and picked up a few rocks to identify later as well. Our evenings were filled with great movies (westerns mostly), Yoplait smoothies and a few games here and there...after it had grown too dark to continue looking for deer, elk, etc, that is!

Since I've been back home, I've "re-built" an old "thrown out to be burned" (by the neighbors) rabbit hutch so that I can use it for meat rabbits, put up my dried Yarrow, cleaned and re-seasoned the mortar and pestle, taken lots of photos, considered moving back up north nearer my sister, enjoyed my grand-daughter's fifth birthday party, harvested a few things from my garden and made plans to button things up for winter.

I hope the month of September finds you happy and secure! Meanwhile, here are some great tips for using Goldenrod, along with a couple more photos from my recent endeavors.


Goldenrod Historical Uses:

Native Americans used the boiled leaves topically as an astringent and antiseptic for healing wounds, alleviating arthritis, rheumatism and eczema. In Europe and the Americas it has been used internally to treat kidney stones, urinary tract infections, digestive problems, sore throat, fatigue, colds, flu, laryngitis, hayfever and allergies. The leaves have been used topically or internally as a tea. For many years, herbalists in the Appalachians have brewed "Blue Mountain Tea" from Goldenrod for relieving exhaustion and fatigue.

Dried Yarrow, Photo by Polly Taskey

Goldenrod, Yarrow in Quart Jar, Photo by Polly Taskey
Cow Elk, Pigeon River State Forest, northern lower Michigan, Photo by Polly Taskey

______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

2 Comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Happy September my friend ;o) Great to hear from you! Love the photos! Happy you had such a great time!

Polly said...

Hey chickie, I've missed you! I'm no longer on Facebook and re-inventing my life/time ;) So happy to hear from you S :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...