May 7, 2012

Re-Purposing an Old Day Planner into a Tarot Journal/Case


I've had this Day-One leather planner, made by Franklin-Covey, for a few years, but the calendar refills have been too pricey to bother with, so I've been using it for sloppily storing a handful of addresses and notes.

Since I'll be starting a Tarosophy Tarot Diploma Course on June 1st, and needed a notebook (of sorts), I decided to re-purpose this into an attractive and useful resource. My Tarot deck already has a beautiful black base design for the vibrant images (The Gilded Tarot by Ciro Marchetti) so I thought I'd utilize this book in a couple of ways.
Note: If you also want to take the Tarot Diploma Course mentioned above (a $230 value) for FREE, just purchase "Around the Tarot in 78 Days", by Marcus Katz and Tali Goodwin, prior to June 1st, 2012.
First, not only will I be able to create (add to, remove, re-organize or replace) Tarot pages (notes, images and thoughts) as I please, but also, since the entire deck fits nicely inside the pouch in the front cover, I'll be able to travel with my deck and Tarot notes held conveniently, and attractively together, when doing readings for others away from home.

There is a zippered compartment inside to hold cash or small magical supplies (such as a pendulum or Runes), place for a pen, as well as a few places to slide cards into if I'm focusing or meditating on that particular card. Perhaps, one day, I'll have "Tarot Reading business cards" filling one of these compartments?

I bought a ream of 24 lb printer paper for just under $6. The slightly heavier weight holds up much better to frequent page-turning, and any calligraphic writing or drawings won't easily "bleed through". The planner is designed to hold pages that are 5 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches, so when I cut the 8 1/2 x 11" paper in half, it fits perfectly without leaving any waste. We already have a guillotine-style paper cutter, and rather than buy a 7-hole punch for about $25, I'm using one of the pre-existing pages of the planner as a "template" and punching holes in a few pieces of paper at a time - one hole at a time - by hand. The process really doesn't take nearly as long as you'd imagine.

Underneath the hole punch in the left side of the photo, you can barely make out the first twenty or so pages I made for this book. Before I had cut them in half, I soaked a few tea bags in a bit of water and "aged" them by dabbing and swirling the soaked tea bags onto them. (Be sure to let the pages dry completely before cutting them or writing on them). For hand-writing and drawing on my pages, I purchased a couple of fine point and one chisel-point Sharpie markers - all combined for under $5.

If choosing to create your pages (with or without images) in a Word Processing program rather than hand-writing them, try using the A5 Page Format Template but adjusting your page margins as close to the following as possible for best results: Left .75, Top and Bottom .70, and Right .30-.33 to allow room for the hole-punches. There are also several places online to find free templates for various needs, such as D*I*Y Planner.


Hopefully, I'll be creating some artsy and useful pages within my "new" Journal very soon so I can share them with you here.
______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

3 Comments:

MagicLoveCrow said...

Good for you Polly! Everything sounds wonderful! So creative you are ;o) Hugs ;o)

Kat Emralde said...

Love this!  Thanks for sharing :)

Polly said...

You're welcome Kat and thank you for the comments! I hope to fill in some pages with a bit of my own lame "art" and notes this week. 

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...