May 6, 2012

13 Goddesses in 13 Weeks ~ Gula

I haven't been able to participate for every week of the 13 Goddesses in 13 Weeks challenge...and, I'm just learning...but I was able to try out my watercolor paints last night for the first time. (No, I've never used any before unless you count the preschool ones, oval-shaped in the long plastic tray, about 40 years ago).

This week is a celebration of Sumerian Goddesses. I chose Gula. She was Mesopotamia's Goddess of Healing and her name meant, literally, "The Great One". She was also known as "Great Mother" or "Lady of Life". MatriFocus has this to say about her: 
Gula was much invoked in healing rituals and incantations, by which those who were ill begged her assistance. They also used prayer-letters. Honored in hymns, she was sometimes invoked in law codes and treaties. At least one treaty addressed her as the great physician (Reiner in Pritchard 1969: 534). Babylonian king Nabonidus (Nabu-na'id) who reigned 555-539 BCE, dreamed of the goddess "who restores the health of the dead(ly sick) and bestows long life." He prayed for "lasting life for [him]self and that she might turn her face towards [him]." Then she "looked steadily upon [him] with her shining face (thus) indicating (her) mercy" (Oppenheim in Pritchard 1969: 310). Gula's worship certainly lasted a long time, its longevity undoubtedly indicating her efficacy in helping people.
I used the following image for inspiration for this week, although I've obviously left out the fairy wings. I am not sure of its' source:


And here is my first ever watercolor attempt (be nice)...



______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

12 Comments:

Timeless Rituals said...

What a wonderful painting! It turned out very well!! You can link it. I have uploaded my post. Blessings!

Brenda Welch-Pace said...

Awesome job Polly!! Hope you've been well!

Polly said...

 Thank you Brenda :D I haven't been around much (other than playing mindless games), nor talking, eating, etc for about a week since my oldest ripped on me pretty good. Basically told me what a worthless piece of sh*t I am and it really crushed me. When I'm very hurt I tend to just "disappear" into myself - wishing I could literally disappear. I guess he wouldn't have been so emotional about "me" if he didn't care, but WOW...nothing like being beaten to the ground by your own son.

Anyway, trying to get back in the groove a little. Hope you've been well. :)

Polly said...

 Thank you, I was actually a bit pleased with how it turned out even though I can see where I need to practice. :) Thank you for inspiring me to entertain the side of me that wants to create things. :)

Polly said...

In a way, I see myself in this image (minus the D-cup bra size of
course, LOL). She wants to stand straight and proud - longing to open
herself to the magic within (and all around her), sharing what she
"thinks" is goodness - but she's holding on to what she knows (the tree
as a metaphor) for comfort and support - just in case something hurtful
comes along - then she can quickly close up and retreat into her self and her hidden, private world once more.

Kat Emralde said...

Love what you did here, I think she came out beautifully.  

Polly said...

 Thank you! :)

MagicLoveCrow said...

Polly, I have missed you ;o) I just read through your comments and I am sorry for what happened with your son! Sending you a big hug ;o)
Now, I don't mean to make you feel like you are a great artist, but you have a gift! I meant that! You have a great flow in your art! I love the Goddess you picked ;o)
My friend, you know the award you gave me last month, how do I nominate someone else?

Polly said...

 You're so sweet Stacy! Hugs back atcha! LOL @ "not wanting me to feel like I'm a great artist" :) I know I have a bit of talent, and need practice. I just hope to keep at it and improve. It's an enjoyable release no matter how stuff "turns out".

In order to nominate someone (I'm THRILLED to hear this!!), you can just comment on any post or email me at designing.life.net AT gmail.com, or put the nomination in the Pagan by Design Forum Wonderful Web Witches nominations folder for the month (forum linked in my byline below each post).

I can't wait to check out your pick! :D

MagicLoveCrow said...

Hey Polly, thanks ;o)
I don't know if Kim has ever been picked, but she is a really sweet person and down to earth ;o) I like that ;o) She has two blogs ;o)
http://thewiccalife.blogspot.ca  and
http://witchcatsblog.blogspot.ca 
Hugs, Stacy

Polly said...

 Very nice blogs, the both of them! No, I'm sure I've not seen either of these before. She may be up for a bit of a surprise toward the end of June ;)

MagicLoveCrow said...

Yeh ;o)

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...