April 9, 2012

Beware the Captive Innocents

Art by Shelle Kennedy
Jillian knew her days were numbered as she looked through steel bars at the clock positioned high on the Town Hall building. The sunlight assaulted her eyes as she peered from her dark and dank surroundings into the sunlit world above. The cellar that held her captive smelled of dying flesh, excrement and mildew. Her wrists, caked with dried blood and oozing with pus from infection, felt like they had been crushed under the weight of a mountain. The shackles had been tightly secured - bruises from trying to wriggle her hands free had proven that her captors were experienced in their work.

She wasn't a Witch. She didn't even know what a Witch really "was". Her upbringing included psalms, prayers, and hymns from the Bible of her family's God. After 13 days in captive Hell and insufferable abuse, however, she was willing to know what secrets might free her...even if they meant denouncing her Savior and taking aim at her accusers in a sinful, yet gloriously delicious, way.

Her body had been stretched and skewed and betrayed at the hands of would-be-Saints...so they claimed. No God of hers would have allowed this torturous treachery upon any other. No God of hers would have allowed an honest, hard-working woman to endure the psychosis and torture of another without reason. Just "Whom" these captors truly followed was beyond her comprehension.

As she struggled with inner demons - fantasizing about the cruelty she hoped would be inflicted upon these misfits of society - her heart genuinely ached for truth..."Why? Why, if You exist my dearest God, must a woman like me be subjected to such cruelty? Have I not given every cell of my being willingly to Your service?" "My faith is stronger than that of many I know, and yet I am just human as you have made me. FORGIVE me for all of my shortcomings, I BEG You...please set me free from this torturous Hell!"


At that moment, a huge black spider descended down the stone wall she was chained to and bit her hard on the shoulder. "ENOUGH!", she screamed! Jillian shook her body, unable to reach up with her shackled hands, she did all she could to shake the spider from her body. Her terror of spiders had waned slightly over the days she was held captive among their breeding grounds. Going now into a half-translucent daze, her eyes focused on the half-starved, beaten and battered, near-corpses around her - barely able to inhale a fresh breath. Three other female prisoners entrenched in her "tomb" - no more "evil" than God himself - were chained likewise.

Mary had been her confidant through problems with her marriage; young Sarah had a spark of life about her that made others jealous of her whimsy; and old Simone could ease a badger out of its' hole with her wisdom and charm. NONE of them belonged here. None of them deserved this horrendous cruelty.

Simone appeared to have stopped breathing. Her slumped body - hands held by chains to the cold, dark wall - wasn't moving at all. Jillian kicked a small stone toward her. It hit her heel with some force, but nothing. "SIMONE", Jillian cried, "answer ME!". Nothing. Moments later, Simone's bowels emptied themselves onto the hard dirt floor, unrestricted now from lack of brain activity and will. "NOOOOOO!", Jillian cried! Her two remaining cell-mates, barely conscious, slowly turned - their bruised faces swelling with seeming indifference.

Unsure of the source, Jillian's anger rose to heights she had never experienced before. Her words, chosen from some primal force within her flowed freely, "NEVER again shall a woman suffer or die at the hands of a so-called follower of God! There IS NO GOD! Let the knowledge of Witchcraft pour into me like a vessel and I will bring JUSTICE to those who proclaim goodness yet DEFILE righteousness!"

Whether it was the evening light playing tricks or her own adrenal hormones combined with days of famine and iron-deficiency, Jillian saw glittery speckles descend around her body and onto the floor in front of her in the narrowing path of sunlight. A cool, calmness filled her heart and soul. She felt weak, yet strengthened beyond measure at the same time.

When her captors would arrive offering a bit of water, dried bread and cold scraps of ham the following day, they would be greeted with the truth, justice and accountability...for Witches are NOT evil creatures devoid of the Christian God...they ARE the ones who seek balance and righteousness in a world of made-up fables, idols, threats and forced conformity.

Beware the justice you seek as you meander through your days of leisurely "good will".

Happy Birthday my dearest Magaly! You are an inspiration, breath of fresh air and wickedly delicious Witch! Enjoy your Sexy, Dark and Bloody Blogoversary Party

Continue to Part Two: "Secrets in the Cellar"
______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

16 Comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Jillian is angry. I would love to see what happens when the captors arrive. I'm hoping for a few of day to unite and show the rest of the lot that denomination, path or label doesn't make the person. Just like Jillian, perhaps they were just brought into something they believe to be something else.

I love the imagery--so raw. And my heart stopped for Simone; poor old gal ;-( 

Thanks for the birthday wishes, dear Polly. You made me smile. I guess I better run to Pagan Culture and add your entry. Yay party!

Brenda Lee said...

Wow! Beautiful yet sad and tragic! I guess I can jump on the band wagon too! Happy Birthday Magaly! :)

Polly said...

Saweet! I'm glad you enjoyed it Magaly and Brenda Lee! Perhaps I will add to the story..at this point though, I am leaving you hanging...mwuahahaaa

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thanks very much, Brenda! And yes, "beautiful and tragic" indeed ;-(

Magaly Guerrero said...

EVIL! lol

Polly said...

 I LOVE those ideas in the first paragraph and isn't that the supreme truth! Hmmm, creative juices are now flowing ;)

MagicLoveCrow said...

Wow Polly! Very powerful, but sad! I hope Jillian kicks ass ;o) Have  a great day!

MagicLoveCrow said...

Polly, did you get my comment? Just checking ;o)

Polly said...

 Just now, yes, thank you so much! I've been working on parts 2 and the final part...having a bit of trouble getting to an ending. I wanted to surprise Magaly with a short (actually finished) story bit.

I'm working on Jillian getting to the kicking ass part...but, lack of experience in writing fiction is holding me hostage. ;)

Toriz said...

Powerful entry; I hope we don't have to wait too much longer to find out what happens next?

Polly said...

Well, my mind is swarming over this start and even though I don't know where we're heading, here is part two. I hope you enjoy:

"Secrets in the Cellar"
http://paganbydesign.blogspot.com/2012/04/secrets-in-cellar.html

MagicLoveCrow said...

I think you are doing amazing!

Gina said...

WOW!!! off to read part 2 *poof* :D XXX

Polly said...

Gina, I love those one word reactions! (Well, unless the word is something like "Ugh" LOL). Thank you for reading! :)

Sunshineshelle said...

Oh Polly - you have an epic here - extremely visual - it's like I just watched part 1 of a series, & oh so tragic, I am so pleased I started at this point because I see you have written 2 more parts to the tale... I'm on my way out, look forward to Part 2 & 3 on my return :)

Tana said...

Intense. *thumbs up*

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...