April 2, 2012

13 Goddesses in 13 Weeks ~ Selu

This week's theme for the 13 Goddesses in 13 Weeks Challenge is "Native American". I'm not sure which tribe my Native American ancestry comes from (I hope to find out one day through DNA testing/matching of one of my male siblings), but I've chosen Selu (pronounced "say-loo"), the Cherokee Corn Mother/Goddess.

According to The Museum of the Cherokee Indian,
"In Cherokee myth, the First Man and First Woman, Kana'Ti and Selu lived at Shining Rock, about thirty miles from the present-day town of Cherokee, N.C."
In many ways, "Kana'Ti and Selu", or "The Origin of Corn and Game" myth is similar to creation stories throughout history and among many various faiths. It is about the cycle of life, death and rebirth as well as responsibility, respect and reverence toward the Earth and all life within.

Cherokee poet, Marilou Awiakta, author of "Selu: Seeking the Corn Mother's Wisdom", wrote:
"When I held up an ear of calico corn, we would think about this wisdom of the Corn Mother. How the different kernels are ranged around the cob, no one more important than the other. How each kernel respects the space of those on either side, yet remains itself - red, black, white, yellow or combinations of those colors. How the Corn-Mother, in Her physical being, exemplifies unity in diversity."
Cherokee Goddess Selu by Polly Taskey

______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

10 Comments:

MagicLoveCrow said...

Polly beautiful! I love the writing and your drawing is so peaceful ;o) I love how her face is cradling the corn. 

MagicLoveCrow said...

Polly, I just read your comment on my blog, I am very touched and honored, thank you! I am suppose to be linking a giveaway with Magaly tomorrow ;o) Make sure to check in ;o)

Polly said...

Thank you so much! I will definitely be reading over at Pagan Culture tomorrow...it's one of my daily stops. Can't wait to see what you've got brewing! :D

Timeless Rituals said...

Great post! I found it difficult to find info about Native American Goddesses... I'm sure I own a book about NA mythology, but after 2 moves I cannot find it...
Thanks for sharing!!

Polly said...

Thank you:) I was just happy that people could tell it was supposed to be an ear of corn and a face. Heheh...will keep practicing, it's fun, and sometimes if I don't "think" about it, the pencil seems to just follow something deeper inside my subconscious...which ends up looking better than something I tried to "plan out".

MagicLoveCrow said...

You are too funny! LOL! And, you are so right, about not thinking, I am that way too ;o)

MagicLoveCrow said...

Polly, make sure you comment on my blog too, because you have more chances to win ;o) And, I wrote to Magaly, that I was touched by the comment you made about my art, thank you!

Kat Emralde said...

Very cool, I like this one, thank you!

Polly said...

MagicLoveCrow...how sweet of you. You're just too much! ;) Brightest Blessings for Amazing Days Ahead...

Kat, you made me smile so much with your comment. I'm new to this so it really means a lot! Thank you.

Magaly Guerrero said...

This is fantastic, Polly. It looks like the corn and her are one. One with Nature--beautiful. 

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...