October 9, 2011

The Evergreen "Altar"

For The 2011 Countdown to Halloween from The Whimsical Cottage, I decorated the old pine stump in my side yard. It wasn't a very pleasant decision when I had to hire someone to cut down this huge pine tree a few months ago. The tree was around 90 feet tall and could have easily toppled onto my roof or the neighbor's just a few feet away. Aside from that, the needles and shade prevented growth of anything underneath. The man who cut the tree climbed it like a 20 year old and had it down in pieces in just a few short hours. This man is actually 72 years old and looks 45!

For decades, the big evergreen gave the squirrels and birds a place to hide, nest and feast. It provided cool shade on the hottest days and helped block high winds and heavy snows common in Michigan winters. Now, it is neatly stacked and split, ready to provide winter warmth to an elderly couple.

Over the summer, the stump was a pleasant backdrop and table for my pots of herbs, plants and homemade birdbath. It has become an outdoor "altar" of sorts and I am considering finishing the top of it and making a pentacle (either carved or wood-burned) there. Meanwhile, as I frequently give my thanks to the "tree" for the sacrifices made to many over the years, and even now in "death", it is my first choice for placing seasonal decorations.



______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

4 Comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

What a versatile stump, and you've managed to make it look even more precious!

Misty said...

I love the stump! Great use of space.

Freckles said...

That's such a neat idea!

Andrea said...

That's so creative, I love it!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...