April 12, 2011

Journey of the Tarot ~ First Impressions

In addition to good old "intuition", looking deeply into the symbolism represented on each card within a Tarot deck is a good practice to familiarizing yourself with the meanings of the individual cards. Be wary not to get into a "rut" with interpretations. Sometimes it's beneficial to step back and view the cards as if it's the first time you've ever seen them. Ask yourself:
  • What is my first impression of this card?
  • Which symbols stand out or strike me?
  • How does the card make me feel?
  • Does this remind me of a memory, another image, or a person?
  • If I were in the scene right now, what would my five senses experience?
We're asked, in Lesson 2.5, to draw one card noting the observations mentioned above. The card I drew was the Nine of Pentacles. My initial impressions or feelings may not match what this card is truly all about, but according to Ms. Huggens, our feelings our not "wrong" even if they are "different". People from different cultures, generations, experiences, etc will likely view each card a bit differently.

Sight: I am first struck by the vibrant, warm and summery-feel of this card. Glittery pentacles remind me of riches. The butterflies remind me of emergence and new beginnings. The expression on the woman's face looks pleasantly content and happy as she holds the Falcon...ready to release it into flight. The colors of her dress and the gold designs at the bottom seem to mirror the sky. Her white puffy cuffs seem like clouds


Smell: It is a sunny, warm day and the flowers are fragrant like Violets and Roses. I can smell the heady aroma of the greenery, and a very warm, pleasant "clean" scent in the air - it's a mix of slight moistness (as if a rain could be coming soon), and the smell of fresh cut grass on a hot, dry day.

Sound: I hear a slight rustle as the woman's dress shifts about and an even more faint rustle of the leaves on the flower bushes as she moves past them. I hear the soft flutter of butterfly wings and a few noises from the bird she holds.

Touch: Her ribbons and dress feel silky, the flowers and leaves are soft, the arch in the background feels like iron. The glittery pentacles might feel like warm and powerful metal that gives a tingle if I could touch them.

Taste: Being that I see this card as the height of summer, it might taste like watermelons and fresh tomatoes from the garden.

______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

1 Comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love how you make the reading of a tarot card sound like the reading/interpretation of a piece of writing. There are times when we should just read the words, especially the ones that stand out, and that might be the best way to understand the meaning of the story. Lovely!

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...