February 26, 2011

Confessions of a Witch

My confessions might meet with some resistance, however, I have to be truthful with others (and with myself). This post of my thoughts and lifestyle takes an intriguing twist towards the end surviving natural or global disasters and why we should prepare ourselves and our children:

I really dislike (okay, I am terrified of) spiders and I DO kill them, especially if they are in my home. If they look like they are big enough to be paying rent, then I have to ask someone to kill them for me. I sort of think of myself as a mother grizzly bear protecting her den from an invading predator. The grizzly is going to attempt to kill that intruder threatening her cubs.

I've seen photos of people (wiccans, etc) holding a 2-3 inch spider on their hand with a caption like, "look what we found, isn't it precious?", then I read the replies saying, "oh it is so beautiful". Okay, what?! Spiders are NOT beautiful. They are creepy, sneaky things that I never want to see again in my life!

When a mother grizzly takes a photo of a predator intruding into her den and posts the photo online with a caption underneath about how she "gently set it free" then I will think twice about killing spiders. On the flipside, I DO like snakes. When I find them, I put them near my house and garden (to eat the spiders). There has to be a balance between the light and dark...for we would not appreciate the light without the dark, nor can we realistically live an entire life filled with nothing but shining rays of sunshine among flitting butterflies in bountiful fields of lilies and sun-kissed wheat. REAL life doesn't work that way. It isn't about skipping endlessly and carefree as a child concerned only with how soft wild bunnies would be if we could catch them.

Confession number two: I eat meat and poultry that is grown and processed for stocking the grocery stores. I like meat. I'm sorry but it tastes good and keeps me healthy (aside from the preservatives added or hormones injected, of course). I have also raised steers and chickens for our family's consumption. And I have hunted and eaten venison, pheasant, squirrel, etc. But we don't waste it. I can't imagine a pride of lions walking around telling each other how beautiful the gazelles are and what a shame it would be to kill and eat one. Are we really "that" different from other animals needing to survive?

I own, and sometimes wear, leather. I love leather. Even our ancestors wore the robes made from the hides of their "meals".

My house is made from harvested forest products and synthetic things that probably affected the environment in a terrible way when it was processed. I try to be eco-friendly in all ways I can think of, but honestly, I don't know how to construct a home out of nothing but fallen timbers and still stay warm...even if I had the tools or strength to do it that way.

I would love to be able to afford (yeah, "green" homes are VERY pricey) a home that didn't infringe upon the forests and was constructed of materials which would not harm the environment, but for the time being, I am occupying a home built in a non-eco-friendly manner. At least the trees which gave their lives (along with the toxic man-made portions) for this dwelling will not go to waste or be unappreciated while the home isn't left deteriorating, or sitting empty.

So there you have it. I grew up in a home that taught realistic "survival" techniques when we couldn't rely on things to be readily available - like heat in the cold months, lights when it was dark and cold, or food available at every corner of town. Most days were typical, easy-living days during my childhood...but would YOU know what to do if there suddenly wasn't going to be power (heat or electric) for months or years on end, no cell phone to call the nearest pizza delivery store, and no way to acquire food, shelter, or clothing without killing, making, or preparing it for yourself?

These "confessions" and thoughts have prompted me to address realistic survival skills. With "pending doom" forecasted every few years (the latest being the potential "end of the world" on December 21, 2012), I think it would be interesting (informative and maybe even useful) to begin discussing disaster preparedness within the forum. Whether Pagan or not, I do think it is essential to teach our children how to tackle (and conquer) obstacles minus the modern advantages we tend to take for granted.


Would you like to join me in discussing, learning, and preparing our children (and ourselves) to handle emergencies should they arise? Our ancestors survived without any of the conveniences of our modern world, and with a little forethought and practice, we also can prevail.
______________________________________________________________
Inspired by her Native American roots and Bradbury lineage, Polly Taskey is a writer and grandmother in the northern USA.  She shares her wisdom and pagan interests through Pagan by Design and The Moonlit Grove.

1 Comments:

Sylvanna said...

That squishes it; I'm reading you.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...